The mission of Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) at the U.S. Department of Commerce is to foster the growth and competitiveness of minority-owned firms in the United States. This is accomplished primarily through a nationwide network of MBDA Business Centers staffed with business experts who provide minority entrepreneurs with strategic business consulting services designed to assist with access to contracts, capital and markets. The efforts of the agency cross public, private, state and local governmental, business and institutional interests. The programs impact heavily on job creation, economic revitalization, community sustainability as well as regional, national and global competitiveness.
Position Title: Office of the Undersecretary Intern; (20-25 hours per week)
Supervisor: Carrie Lee, Chief Of Staff
Description of Duties
The selected candidate will:
- Conduct background research on businesses, stakeholders, corporations, and other organizations on behalf of the Undersecretary
- Work on multiple assignments simultaneously, meeting quality standards and deadlines
- Assist with clerical task such as filing, faxing, answering phones, greeting and escorting visitors
- Assist with facilitating information between minority business enterprises and the Office of the Undersecretary
- Preparing reports including information on the economic status/climate of various minority business industries
- Assisting in the coordination of meetings between minority business enterprises and Office of Undersecretary
More information on MBDA leadership, please visit the following website: https://www.mbda.gov/directory/leadership
Skills Required/ Targeted Major
Research skills, communication skills, attention to detail, writing skills, ability to multitask in fast paced environments, and proficiency in Excel and Word formats. Background/interest in entrepreneurship, business management, government, communication and business development is a plus.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited institution or a recent graduate within 12 months of graduation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Applicant must meet the Department's policy on employment of relatives. Contact Internship Coordinator for more information.
- If selected, must pass a background check prior to start date
- Summer Internship (June – August): Must be received by 5PM ET on May 10th, 2023
- Fall Internship (September – December): Must be received by 5PM ET on July 26th, 2023
Any questions, must be directed to MBDA Internship Coordinators:
- Caroline Martinez-Carranza (email@example.com)
- Manuel Barragan-Rodriguez (firstname.lastname@example.org)