The mission of Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) at the U.S. Department of Commerce is to foster the growth and competitiveness of minority-owned firms in the United States. This is accomplished primarily through a nationwide network of MBDA Business Centers staffed with business experts who provide minority entrepreneurs with strategic business consulting services designed to assist with access to contracts, capital and markets. The efforts of the agency cross public, private, state and local governmental, business and institutional interests. The programs impact heavily on job creation, economic revitalization, community sustainability as well as regional, national and global competitiveness.
Position Title: Policy Analysis and Development Intern, (20-25 hours per week)
Supervisor: Efrain Gonzalez, Jr, Associate Director, Office of Policy Analysis and Development
Description of Duties
The selected candidate will:
- Research and analyze economic contributions of African American-, Hispanic-, Asian and Pacific Islander-, American Indian and Alaska Native-owned businesses
- Identify and prepare data from public/private sources and analyze impacts on underserved businesses
- Explore the availability, cost and process for accessing public and private sector datasets of interest to MBDA
- Provide input and support for initiatives to raise the level of data practices, data awareness, and data science in MBDA.
Skills Required/ Targeted Majors
Research skills, communication skills, attention to detail, writing skills, ability to multitask in fast-paced environments, and proficiency in Excel and Word formats. Background/interest in entrepreneurship, business development, public policy, and data analytics.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited institution or a recent graduate within 12 months of graduation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Applicant must meet the Department's policy on employment of relatives. Contact Internship Coordinator for more information.
- If selected, must pass a background check prior to start date
- Summer Internship (June – August): Must be received by 5PM ET on May 10<>th, 2023
- Fall Internship (September – December): Must be received by 5PM ET on August 1st, 2023
Any questions, must be directed to MBDA Internship Coordinators: