The mission of Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) at the U.S. Department of Commerce is to foster the growth and competitiveness of minority-owned firms in the United States. This is accomplished primarily through a nationwide network of MBDA Business Centers staffed with business experts who provide minority entrepreneurs with strategic business consulting services designed to assist with access to contracts, capital and markets. The efforts of the agency cross public, private, state and local governmental, business and institutional interests. The programs impact heavily on job creation, economic revitalization, community sustainability as well as regional, national and global competitiveness.
Position Title: Business Development Intern, (20-25 hours per week)
Supervisor: Angela Washington, Acting Supervisory Business Development Specialist
Description of Duties
The selected candidate will support the Office of Business Development in one of the following initiatives:
- Access to Capital and Finance Management
- Access to Contracts
- Access to Markets
More information on each imitative can be found on our website at the following address: http://www.mbda.gov/page/business-services
On behalf of the Office of Business Development, the selected candidate will conduct background research on industries, businesses, stakeholders, corporations, financial/lending institutions, and other organizations. Intern will assist senior business development staff in completing projects & assignments while meeting quality standards/deadlines; prepare reports including information on the economic status/climate of various minority business industries; assist in the coordination of meetings between minority business enterprises and Office of Business Development; and assist with clerical task such as filing, faxing, answering phones, greeting and escorting visitors.
Skills Required/ Targeted Majors
Research skills, communication skills, attention to detail, writing skills, ability to multitask in fast-paced environments, and proficiency in Excel and Word formats. Background/interest in entrepreneurship and business development is a plus.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited institution or a recent graduate within 12 months of graduation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Applicant must meet the Department's policy on employment of relatives. Contact Internship Coordinator for more information.
- If selected, must pass a background check prior to start date
- Summer Internship (June – August): Must be received by 5PM ET on May 10th, 2021
- Fall Internship (September – December): Must be received by 5PM ET on July 26th, 2021
- Winter Internship (January – March): Must be received by 5PM ET on November 22nd, 2021
- Spring Internship (April – May): Must be received by 5PM ET on February 21st, 2022
Any questions, must be directed to MBDA Internship Coordinators: