The mission of Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) at the U.S. Department of Commerce is to foster the growth and competitiveness of minority-owned firms in the United States. This is accomplished primarily through a nationwide network of MBDA Business Centers staffed with business experts who provide minority entrepreneurs with strategic business consulting services designed to assist with access to contracts, capital, and markets. The efforts of the agency cross public, private, state and local governmental, business and institutional interests. The programs impact heavily on job creation, economic revitalization, community sustainability as well as regional, national and global competitiveness. *This position is VIRTUAL*
Position Title: Public Affairs Intern; (20-25 hours per week)
Supervisor: Patricia Tomczyszyn, Acting Supervisory Public Affairs Specialist
Description of Duties
The selected candidate will:
- Assists in drafting and coordinating responses to news media inquiries about MBDA functions, policies, programs, and activities as directed and update public affairs staff on press related activities
- Create and execute social media campaigns related to Agency priorities in coordination with OPA, Office of the National Director, and/or MBDA’s Office of Business Development
- Review, research, catalog, and propose edits/revisions to messaging documents including Agency descriptions, PowerPoint(s), Brochures, etc.
- Review, research, and propose additional content for the website (ex.: blogs, articles, events, resource links)
- As assigned, draft blogs and articles focused on Agency initiatives, events, and/or business tools
- Assist with a variety of administrative aspects of public affairs, including miscellaneous research, faxing, photocopying, writing, etc.
Skills Required/ Targeted Majors
Research skills, communication skills, attention to detail, writing skills, ability to multitask in fast-paced environments, and proficiency in Excel and Word formats. Background/interest in entrepreneurship, communication, public affairs, public relations, marketing and business development is a plus.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited institution or a recent graduate within 12 months of graduation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Applicant must meet the Department's policy on employment of relatives. Contact Internship Coordinator for more information.
- If selected, must pass a background check prior to start date
- Summer Internship (June – August): Must be received by 5PM ET on May 10th, 2021
- Fall Internship (September – December): Must be received by 5PM ET on July 26th, 2021
- Winter Internship (January – March): Must be received by 5PM ET on November 22nd, 2021
- Spring Internship (April – May): Must be received by 5PM ET on February 21st, 2022
Any questions, must be directed to MBDA Internship Coordinators: