The mission of Minority Business Development Agency (MBDA) at the U.S. Department of Commerce is to foster the growth and competitiveness of minority-owned firms in the United States. This is accomplished primarily through a nationwide network of MBDA Business Centers staffed with business experts who provide minority entrepreneurs with strategic business consulting services designed to assist with access to contracts, capital, and markets. The efforts of the agency cross public, private, state and local governmental, business and institutional interests. The programs impact heavily on job creation, economic revitalization, community sustainability as well as regional, national and global competitiveness. *This position is VIRTUAL*
Position Title: Legislative Affairs Intern; (32-40 hours per week)
Supervisor: Curtis Doster, Associate Director, Office of Legislative, Education and Intergovernmental Affairs
Description of Duties
The selected candidate will:
- Support initiatives under the federal collaboration program, including developing opportunities for partnering with other federal agencies.
- Support the development of an inter-agency conference program on capital access.
- Develop news items for MBDA’s stakeholders and support the stakeholder's outreach program.
- Analyze data on minority-owned businesses and develop products for senior management and for publication on the Agency’s website.
- Support events and efforts with academics, minority businesses, and other stakeholders to expand the knowledge on minority business enterprises.
- Other duties as assigned
Skills Required/ Targeted Majors
Research skills, communication skills, attention to detail, writing skills, ability to multitask in fast-paced environments, and proficiency in Excel and Word formats. Background/interest in entrepreneurship, political science, business, government, economics and business development is a plus.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited institution or a recent graduate within 12 months of graduation
- Must be at least 18 years old
- Must be a U.S. citizen
- Applicant must meet the Department's policy on employment of relatives. Contact Internship Coordinator for more information.
- If selected, must pass a background check prior to start date
- Summer Internship (June – August): Must be received by 5PM ET on May 10th, 2023
- Fall Internship (September – December): Must be received by 5PM ET on August 1st, 2023
Any questions, must be directed to MBDA Internship Coordinators: